Saturday, March 28, 2009

Banana Date Streusel Bread

I was shopping at the Lotus supermarket when I spied by the fruit weighing counter, bags of overripe bananas going really cheap. It was like 2 kuai a jin! I mean come on, what did I REALLY have to lose? (or so I reason)

With the help of google, I figured out that the best way to use up 7 overripe bananas was to bake banana bread with them. So I did. And I'm telling you, it was well worth my kuais!

Banana bread is a lot of fun to make because it involves mashing up bananas. You wouldn't believe how much fun banana mashing can be until you've tried it yourself.
Got an anger management problem? Take it out on some bananas!

Ah, carbs can be fun after all...




Banana Date Streusel Spice Bread

modified from Allrecipes

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
110 ml oil
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs, beaten
6-7 mashed overripe bananas
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
1 teaspoon Nutmeg
1 teaspoon Vanilla
1/2 cup chopped Chinese dates

Streusel Topping
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon flour
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons wheat bran
1 teaspoon cinnamon

1.Preheat oven to 170 degrees Celsius (350 degrees F).
2.In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda,cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. In a separate bowl, cream together oil and brown sugar. Stir in eggs, vanilla and mashed bananas until well blended. Stir banana mixture into flour mixture; stir just to moisten. Mix in chopped dates.
3. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan. (I had enough batter for 2 loaves)
4.In a small bowl, mix together flour, sugar, cinnamon, bran. Pour in the oil mix them by hand until it looks coarse and crumbly. Sprinkle topping over the bread batter.
5.Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of the loaf comes out clean. Allow the bread to cool and then turn it out of the pan to eat or store.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I'm a journalism student and a lacto-ovo vegetarian. Baking, getting random Chinese ingredients, reading recipes and playing in the kitchen are part of my many interests.