Friday, March 20, 2009

My estrangement from carbs

I wasn't always repulsed by carbs- oh no, there was a time in life when I incorporated it into each and everyone of my everyday meals without fear nor remorse.
The thing is, in the heights of my obsession with my weight and the way I looked, we no longer saw eye to eye about where nutrition should go in my body, and so I cut it out of my life.
For a long time, I avoided all things high in carbohydrates, rice, noodles, bread, pasta, potatoes, you name it, I dropped it off my diet. Carbs terrify me even more than fats.
I guess the way things work in life is that if you do something long enough, it eventually becomes habitual, and what is habitual eventually becomes part of who you are, whether or not you like it. And the fact of the matter is, I am a carbophobic. My eyes see high carb foods, my brain says bad.
It's one of those things where once you know it, you can't un-know it and then you can't quite look at that thing the same way again. You know, like when you watch a magic trick after you know how the magician did it, or when you eat bird's nest after learning that it comes from bird saliva.
Even to this day, on the occasions that I eat carbs, I still can't do it without reprimanding myself afterward. On really bad days, I just mentally torture myself.
I just can't look at food the way most normal people do.
I'm not sure if it will ever go away, if I'll just wake up one day and get over it.
All I know is that I love making food. I'm just not always comfortable eating it.

Is it possible to be a weight conscious foodie?

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I'm a journalism student and a lacto-ovo vegetarian. Baking, getting random Chinese ingredients, reading recipes and playing in the kitchen are part of my many interests.