Saturday, March 28, 2009

Spinach with Century Egg Bits



I have never bought or cooked a century egg before. I was never too crazy about them, in fact, I have probably not eaten one for at least 2 years now.
These preserved eggs are usually eaten with porridge or as a cold dish, at least in my family. Anyway, I found this recipe on a Chinese site and decided to try it out because I love spinach (like Popeye,come to think about it, all Popeye eats is friggin' spinach, does he ever eat carbs or fats?)


I added chopped salted duck eggs into mine and it got too salty. So...don't.

Spinach Stir Fry with Century Egg Chunks
1 bunch spinach, washed
1 century egg
1 small piece of ginger root, cut into thin strips
1 tablespoon oil
100 ml vegetable broth
salt
white pepper

1. Steam century egg for about 7 minutes. Then soak it in a bowl of cold water, peel it, and chop it up coarsely (the cold water makes it easier to peel)
2. Heat oil in a pan and stir fry the ginger until it becomes fragrant. Add the egg and stir fry for about half a minute.
3. Add the spinach and cook until soft. Add salt and white pepper to taste (if your broth has enough flavor, you can skip the salt)
4. Pour the vegetable broth and cook until it's heated through. Serve warm.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I'm a journalism student and a lacto-ovo vegetarian. Baking, getting random Chinese ingredients, reading recipes and playing in the kitchen are part of my many interests.