Wednesday, March 25, 2009

D'oooooh



I don't know which freaks me out more, carbohydrates or fried food-but one thing's for sure: if you combine 'em, I'm definitely gonna hate em'...

...which is why I can't think of anything nice to say about doughnuts.

They are first and foremost carbs-empty ones that that!-and the whole concept of fried dough is enough to make any carb fearing health freak (myself) shudder. (*enter frightful images of golden brown dough taken out of deep fryer and soaked in and dripping with oil*)

Honestly, how did people ever come up with the idea of frying a carb? I can't help but to stare at people biting into a doughnut, or those that line up for ages at J-Co for them (like my brother), how can people eat that stuff? How is it even a food?!

Ok. End doughnut hate rant.

Why then, am I making the very food item I just professed my hate for?

Two words: Bimbo Doughnuts. (or should I say donettes? )


My boyfriend loves chocolate Bimbo doughnuts and is constantly buying them from the nearby mini mart.

(I know this sounds psychotic but) It disturbs me to a degree to see him eat that stuff because well, you see doughnut, I see sugar, flour and fat. (*enter horror film scream**return frightful images of golden brown dough taken out of deep fryer and soaked in and dripping with oil*)

So I've been wondering for some time if it were possible for me to give this "treat" a healthier makeover. I finally found recipes for baked doughnuts on veganyumyum and littlecornerofmine that sounded just about all right so I decided to try them out today...

...and learned to hate them even more....



First of all, I didn't have doughnut molds. The dough was sticky AS and impossible to mold with my hands. So what was I supposed to do?

I'll tell you what I did and did not work!!!
I placed the tin cap from my bottle of smirnoff in the center of a ramekin cup and poured in the dough.



I have to admit, I really thought it was going to work up until the dough (as it began to rise, and this dough rises like crazy) lifted the damned bottle cap up like the beanstalk lifted Jack's house into the air. So every few seconds, I had to stick a fork into the oven to press the bottle cap down in hopes of keeping its shape.

When I finally took it out of the oven, I had to operate the "doughnut" with a kitchen knife to get the bottle cap out. I also trimmed the doughnut hole to make it prettier (and ate the center, which I will admit did taste pretty good)



So much work for a stupid cake with a stupid hole!
To make it look more presentable, I heated up some cream and poured it over chocolate chunks to make an icing of some sorts.


Doughnut-cake-thing gets a makeover


So I set out to bake doughnuts but ended up with half a dozen cupcakes instead...


...each disguised with chocolate icing


I suppose the problem really was me. Had I owned a doughnut pan or been more skilled a baker, this might have ended better ><



But really, when you think about it, aren't doughnuts really just cakes with holes in them?

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I'm a journalism student and a lacto-ovo vegetarian. Baking, getting random Chinese ingredients, reading recipes and playing in the kitchen are part of my many interests.