Monday, March 16, 2009

Cookie Monster Unleashed

I am probably one of the biggest carb-o-phobics you will ever meet.
Yet I love baking, and I love homemade cookies.


The carb-hating cookie monster, just another lovely physiological conflict in the mental world of Talia



I rarely make cookies, for fear of going into some kind of crazy binge, not unlike the actual sesame street character in question.

Since discovering what an awesome cookie baker I am, I developed a somewhat superior attitude towards all commercially packaged cookies-Oreos? Chips Ahoy? Famous Amos? So Not worth the calories.(which I suppose makes me a Picky Cookie Monster)

Anyway, I baked two batches last Saturday to share with my boyfriend, who was sweet and agreed to be my gastronomical guinea pig.


It doesn't help that I also happen to be an awesome cookie baker

Here's what I made:
Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

¼ cup margarine, softened
¼ cup virgin olive oil
¾ cup packed light brown sugar
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¾ cup all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 pinch salt
1 cup quick cooking oats
½ cups rolled oats
½ cup dark raisins
½ cup golden raisins

1. Before doing anything else, soak the raisins in boiled water and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, cream together the margarine and olive oil with the sugars until smooth. Then add the vanilla and beat in the egg. In another bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
3. Stir the flour mixture into the sugar mixture by spoonfuls, and then stir in the oats and raisins (drained).
4. I usually refrigerate my cookie dough for at least an hour, or overnight, depending on how soon I want it.
5. Preheat oven to 175 degrees Celsius. Take a tablespoonful of cookie dough and shape it into the size and thickness that you want it to be (the end product will be a little bigger and flatter). Place it onto ungreased cookie sheets or aluminum foil and repeat with the rest of the dough (this much be the dumbest sounding recipe in the world)
6. Bake for about 10 minutes. Keep a close eye on them and when they look just about done, remove cookies from the oven and let them stand for ½ a minute or so if you want the bottom to be crunchier. Remove from sheets, and allow to cool. I got about 12 medium, soft cookies outta this.



Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies

-recipe adapted from AllRecipes-

½ cup margarine
½ cup peanut butter (crunchy, smooth, salted, unsalted, whatever you have)
½ cup white sugar
½ cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¾ cup all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon baking powder
1 cup quick cooking oats

1.In a large bowl, cream together margarine, peanut butter, sugars and vanilla. Then beat in the egg.
2.In another bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and baking powder. Add this mixture by spoonfuls to the sugar mixture. Stir. Add oatmeal and stir.
3.Drop by teaspoons onto cookie sheet. Bake at 175 degrees Celsius for 10 minutes, or until cookies are a light brown. Remove from oven and allow them to cool. I made about 18 cookies from this.

The peanut butter cookies came out just okay. I think it's because I used salted peanut butter this time (that was what we had in the kitchen). Also, the original recipe makes peanut butter cookie sandwiches, which are prettier looking.

They turned out better the last time I made them, filling and all:



This is the filling step I'd skipped:
Cream 3 tablespoons butter or margarine with the confectioners' sugar, 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter, and the cream. Spread filling onto half of the cooled cookies, then top with the other half to form sandwiches.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just remembered how much I love to look at your face, and feel happy for no reason.

About Me

My photo
I'm a journalism student and a lacto-ovo vegetarian. Baking, getting random Chinese ingredients, reading recipes and playing in the kitchen are part of my many interests.