Sunday, April 19, 2009

Kale (Gai Lan) with Oyster Sauce

My boyfriend bought me a bunch of kale today, thinking it might be spinach, which was what I'd asked. (He was being sweet because I was stuck at home writing assignments and out of veggies)
What can I say? When life gives you kale...make dinner.
I honestly don't know why I've never bought kale in the past. They actually taste pretty good, the stems are really crunchy.
According to WHfood, kale is actually really good for you too, it protects you from ovarian cancer and slows the loss of memory. What more could a girl ask for, really.


My dad was the kale cook at our house and he cooked them using oyster sauce, and that's really the only way I've ever eaten them (bad vegetarian!)This is his recipe:


Kale with Oyster Sauce

1 bunch kale, washed
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tablespoon oil
3 tablespoons oyster sauce (or vegetarian oyster sauce)
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon sugar
2 teaspoons water

1. Heat oil in a pan and fry garlic until it turns brown. Set aside.
2. In a bowl, combine oyster sauce, soy sauce, sesame oil,1/2 teaspoon sugar and water. Set aside.
3. Boil 2 cups water in a pot, add 1/2 teaspoon sugar and some of the garlic with the oil, then boil the kale for about 3 minutes.
4. Arrange kale on a plate, add the garlic with the oil, and pour in the oyster sauce. Serve.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I'm a journalism student and a lacto-ovo vegetarian. Baking, getting random Chinese ingredients, reading recipes and playing in the kitchen are part of my many interests.