Saturday, April 25, 2009

Talia bakes a cake and a cupcake

I was surprised to find carrot cake categorized under "kid friendly" recipes on allrecipes.com.
As a child, I'd seen carrot cakes in cake display cabinets and always imagined them to be yucky.
Don't get me wrong, I love carrots. I was brought up to believe that carrots would make my eyesight stay as sharp as a bunny rabbit's. My mother even reinforced this belief by telling me, at the dinner table, the tales of Little Rabbit who liked to eat carrot dishes not unlike the ones she made.
My point is, Little Rabbit-my carrot chomping role model- never ate no carrot cake. He had em' in soups, in roasts, boiled, steamed, even mashed but never as a dessert. I always imagined that carrots were meant to be savory, which is why I've never eaten a carrot cake before...until today.
Since I love spices so much, my boyfriend had mentioned that I might like it. So I found this recipe, with over 1,600 reviews on allrecipes.com (which I suppose, means at least 2,000 people have probably thought that this recipe was worth trying).


I have to admit, I still had my doubts as I mixed the batter...


....but the first bite of the warm, vitamin A packed sweet and spiciness changed my mind



Carrot Cake
-adapted from allrecipes.com-

¾ cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon white sugar
½ cup olive oil (or vegetable oil)
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
1-1/2 cups grated carrots (I used 2 carrots)
1/2 cup raisins

1.Grate carrots, soak raisins in hot water, set both aside.
2.Preheat oven to 175 degrees C (350 degrees F).
3.In a large bowl, mix sugars with oil, beat in eggs, and vanilla. Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon. Stir dry ingredients into the wet mixture. Stir in carrots.
4.Squeeze water from raisins and fold into the batter. Pour into prepared pan.
5.Bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely

Note: The recipe comes with a cream cheese frosting which I skipped because I neither like nor possess any of the stuff


I baked mine in a dish and had some some batter leftover to fill a cupcake cup.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I'm a journalism student and a lacto-ovo vegetarian. Baking, getting random Chinese ingredients, reading recipes and playing in the kitchen are part of my many interests.