Monday, April 13, 2009

Potato Coconut Curry with Eggs

Even though I'm always whining about the carbs and fats in the food whenever I go home, I have to admit that I do miss Malaysian food sometimes. I miss the spices. I miss the coconut aftertaste. I miss the guavas.
Quite frankly, the Chinese-style spicy food I've been making has been really good, but at the same time, it gave me cravings for some good ol' South East Asian style curry (I say South East Asian instead of Malaysian here because the curry paste I had was the Thai kind)
I had this recipe I'd copied from one of my aunt's Thai cookbooks a really long time ago which uses peanuts and peas. I didn't have peas so I used another starch-filled vegetable instead-potatoes.



Potato Coconut Curry with Eggs
3 tablespoons red curry paste
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon juice of lime
some sticks of fresh ginger
1 cup coconut milk
1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon fish sauce
4 eggs, boiled and peeled
2 medium sized potatoes, cut into chunks
1/4 cup chopped peanuts

1. Cook potatoes in salted water for about 7 minutes, drain and set aside. Chop up the boiled eggs.
2. Heat the first five ingredients in a pan over low heat. Add 1/2 cup coconut milk to the curry paste mixture and cook for about 1 minute until fragrant.
3. Add remaining milk, sugar and sauce into the mixture. Add potatoes and stir until cooked. Turn off heat, stir in eggs.
4.Pour potato curry into a serving dish and sprinkle with chopped peanuts. Makes about 4 servings.

Note: If you like me, are too lazy to reheat food, this works as a potato salad after you refrigerate it.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I'm a journalism student and a lacto-ovo vegetarian. Baking, getting random Chinese ingredients, reading recipes and playing in the kitchen are part of my many interests.