Saturday, April 11, 2009

Kung Pao Mushrooms

The food I've been eating over the past few months have almost all been soupy and on the bland side-but the weather's changing, and some spice is always fun to experiment with ^^


Meet my new little friend: Szechuan hot pepper oil, cost me 6 kuai if I recall correctly

Kung Pao Mushrooms
2 king trumpet mushrooms (xing bao gu)
¼ cup edamame beans, cooked and squeezed out from pods
¼ cup roasted peanuts
2 small red chillies, chopped (I added some chopped green ones as well)
1 piece ginger, minced
1 ½ mushroom flavored seasoning
½ teaspoon brandy
Pinch of salt
1 tablespoon water
1 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 ½ tablespoons dark soy sauce
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon oil
1 teaspoon Szechuan hot pepper oil
½ teaspoon sesame oil

1.Boil mushrooms for about 3 minutes, cool and cut into cubes. Marinade with a pinch of salt, brandy, ½ teaspoon seasoning and 1 teaspoon cornstarch.
2.Combine water, soy sauce, sugar, vinegar, seasoning, cornstarch in a bowl. Set aside.
3.Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a wok, add chili and ginger, stir fry until fragrant. Add mushrooms and stir frequently (it’s a bit sticky). Pour in soy sauce mixture and cook over high heat. Add beans. Then stir in hot pepper oil, sesame oil and peanuts. Eat it hot. Makes 3 servings (I think)

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I'm a journalism student and a lacto-ovo vegetarian. Baking, getting random Chinese ingredients, reading recipes and playing in the kitchen are part of my many interests.