Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Strawberry Bread

I can't believe we ate up the apple bread in 2 days. It was good stuff and I was eager to fill the bread box up again as soon as the last crumb had been devoured (by me).
The concept of adding strawberries to bread is one that is quite new to me, but they are still in season and the recipe that I found from joyofbaking.com looked so easy that I decided to try it out.
I love baking with spices, it makes the house smell really nice, plus the scent of cinnamon apparently helps boost brain activity and relaxes the tired mind. It also works effectively as an anti-depressant-just the smell I need to get through the midterms!



Strawberry Bread
-recipe from joyofbaking, with minor changes-
1/4 cup butter or olive oil
1 ripe banana
3/4 cup brown sugar
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1 1/2 cups chopped fresh strawberries

1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C (350 degrees F ) and place the oven rack in the middle position. Butter and flour the bottom and sides of your loaf pan. Set aside.
2. In a bowl, mash the banana with the sugar using a spoon (it’s almost like creaming it, but stickier),mix in the oil and vanilla. Then, beat in the eggs one at a time.
3. In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and ground cinnamon.
4. Add the flour mixture (in three additions) and yogurt (in two additions) to the wet mixture alternately, starting and ending with the flour. Mix only until combined. Gently fold in the chopped strawberries.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake about one hour, or until the bread is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Place on a wire rack to cool and then remove the bread from the pan. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Makes 1 loaf.


Note: Definitely bake this for at least 45 minutes, I took mine out a bit too early and the center was a bit gooey (I'm not complaining though). You also want to make sure you wash the strawberries thoroughly before you use them in China because they use quite a bit of pesticide

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I'm a journalism student and a lacto-ovo vegetarian. Baking, getting random Chinese ingredients, reading recipes and playing in the kitchen are part of my many interests.