Friday, April 10, 2009

Lazy Person's Egg Salad

Have you ever wanted to have egg salad, but was simply too lazy to bring yourself to boil and peel the main ingredient?
Do you, like me, not like egg yolks to begin with?
Then this tofu salad is the thing for you!
(I know I’m unlikely to be the first person to discover this but) Tofu has a very similar texture to boiled egg whites and since egg whites don’t have much taste to begin with, and since traditional egg salads are so drowned in dressing anyway, it’s more or less replaceable.


Looks like egg whites, tastes like egg salad, no boiling involved~^^

Pretend It’s Egg Salad
½ block firm tofu
2 tablespoons mayonnaise*
1 teaspoon whole grain mustard
1 strip spring onion, chopped
Salt, pepper to taste (I used ground Szechuan pepper for fun)
½ teaspoon sesame oil
1. Chop up tofu the way you would chop up eggs.
2. Mix tofu with spring onion, mayonnaise and mustard. Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle a bit of sesame oil. Chill in refrigerator or eat right away. It makes enough for me to eat in one go.

*I’m not a vegan so I don’t mind using mayonnaise for this recipe save for the fact that it’s fat.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I'm a journalism student and a lacto-ovo vegetarian. Baking, getting random Chinese ingredients, reading recipes and playing in the kitchen are part of my many interests.