Friday, April 10, 2009

Spicy Flavor Packed Eggplant



Out of impulse, I bought myself a big round purple eggplant, and I couldn’t figure out what to do with it. The last time I’d tried to make a cold eggplant dish using a Chinese recipe it’d ended badly so the vegetable itself was a little intimidating to begin with.
So I went to consult my local vegetable man, who suggested that I make the following dish (well, what he actually did was sell me a green chili pepper, I had to figure out the kinks myself)

Anyway, I've been wondering why the stuff I cook at home never tastes quite like what they make at Chinese restaurants here. Many of the Chinese recipes I refer to don't come with specific ingredient measurements, some just tell you the name of the ingredient and expect you to just KNOW.

Well, today I decided to just use ALOT of everything. Pouring in soy sauce, tossing in ginger and chillies~the works.

Definitely a good call, the eggplant turned out nice, spicy and flavorful~

Spicy Eggplant Stir Fry
1 eggplant
1 green chili, diced
1 small tomato, chopped
1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon oil
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine (liao jiu)
¼ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon mushroom seasoning
½ teaspoon sugar
1 strip spring onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 piece ginger, cut into thin strips
½ teaspoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon cornstarch

1. Peel eggplant and cut into 2 inch pieces (like fries), soak in salted water for about 20 minutes. Meanwhile, dice the chili and chop up the tomato.


2. In a wok, heat 1 tablespoon oil and stir fry eggplant until browned and soft. Remove from wok and set aside.



3. Heat another teaspoon of oil in the wok and fry onions, garlic and ginger until fragrant. Add tomatoes and chilies and stir fry for about a minute.
4. Add soy sauce, rice wine, salt, seasoning, sugar and water. Add eggplant and cook over high heat for another minute.



5. Add cornstarch until sauce thickens. Drizzle sesame oil, turn off heat and serve.


Makes about 2 servings.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I'm a journalism student and a lacto-ovo vegetarian. Baking, getting random Chinese ingredients, reading recipes and playing in the kitchen are part of my many interests.