Saturday, April 11, 2009

Tofu Stuffed Mushrooms

My mom has a friend who makes these amazing stuff mushrooms using homemade fish balls that I used to love back when I was a carnivore.
While browsing a Chinese recipe site, I came across a recipe for these tofu stuffed mushrooms and I got hopeful about recreating them. They weren't really the same,but they weren't bad and looked pretty enough.

Tofu Stuffed Mushrooms

1.Soak dried mushrooms in water for about 15 minutes, until softened. Remove stems, if any.
2.Combine the mushroom water, soy sauce, sugar, spring onion and ginger. Place mushrooms in a bowl and pour in the mixture. Place bowl in a steamer and steam for 10 minutes, drain the liquid and sprinkle some cornstarch on the mushrooms. Set aside.

3.Cook the Chinese yam in boiled water for about 5 minutes. Combine tofu, yam, carrot, minced mushroom, cornstarch, sesame oil, salt and pepper in a blender and blend until smooth.

4.Spoon tofu mixture into mushroom caps. Arrange on a plate with cilantro and goji berries. (decorate with bok choy stems if you like) Cover and steam for about 12 minutes.
5. Combine oyster sauce/soy sauce and stock in a bowl. Pour over mushrooms and serve.

Notes:
-The cooked tofu stuffing gets more firm after it has cooled down so don't worry if it's wobbly looking
-The mushrooms taste fine with or without the sauce, they actually make a pretty good snack
-I think a potato can be used in the place of the Chinese yam


A quick note on Chinese yams (shan yao)

I don't know about you, but direct contact with Chinese yams make my skin itchy so I wear gloves when I peeled and cut this one up. Soaking the Chinese yam pieces (after they are peeled) in salted water keeps them from turning black.
Chinese yams are very filling and low fat. In case you were curious, they are apparently for people with chronic diarrhea.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Excellent post! I am a huge fan of goji berry too. I used to spend a lot unnecessarily on expensive diet programs but now I know the secret. Going green is what is best. Thanks for sharing this information with us.

About Me

My photo
I'm a journalism student and a lacto-ovo vegetarian. Baking, getting random Chinese ingredients, reading recipes and playing in the kitchen are part of my many interests.