Thursday, April 9, 2009

My favorite Chinese cabbage dish

I love Chinese cabbage, especially when they're cooked REALLY soft. They come with vitamins C and E, plus studies have linked them to linked to a moderately lower breast cancer risk. Best of all, the ones sold in Beijing are HUGE and very cheap.

They go really well with tofu... (another food I love alot, I'm currently more hooked on them than usual)

...and beehoon (or rice vermicelli noodles to you none South East Asians), I don't love as much. There was a small bunch of them left in the kitchen- I don't remember why I have them to begin with-and they add a nice enough texture to the dish I suppose. Still, they're carbs and this dish works fine with or without so I normally skip the noodles.


-though I did look up their nutritional contents after eating them though and to my surprise (and relief, if you will), they're only about 142 calories per half cup.


Try to imagine that there's more soup in the dish because they're a little drier than they should be~

Stewed Chinese Cabbage with Tofu
500 g Chinese cabbage, chopped
300 g firm tofu, diced
100 g rice vermicelli noodles
1 strips spring onion, chopped finely
1 small piece ginger root, minced
1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine (liao jiu)
150 ml vegetable broth or water
1 teaspoon mushroom seasoning
1 teaspoon oil
Salt

1.Soak noodles in warm water until softened (10 minutes), drain and cut using scissors. (or knife if you prefer). Set aside.
2.Heat oil in a wok, add spring onions and ginger and stir fry until fragrant. Add broth and heat through.
3.Add tofu and cook over moderate heat for about 2 minutes, then stir in wine, followed by cabbage and noodles.
4.Simmer for about 15 minutes until cabbage and noodles are soft. Add seasoning and salt to taste. Drizzle with sesame oil if you like. Serve warm.

Note: The noodles tend to suck away the broth so you might want to add more broth if you want a soup-ier dish. Mine ended up drier than I would have preferred.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I'm a journalism student and a lacto-ovo vegetarian. Baking, getting random Chinese ingredients, reading recipes and playing in the kitchen are part of my many interests.