Sunday, April 12, 2009

Strawberry Yogurt Jelly

We're in the middle of strawberry season and I'm reaching the point where I'm getting bored with smoothies and salads. So I decided to get creative before my last jin of strawberries rotted.


Strawberry Yogurt Jelly

5-6 fresh strawberries, washed, tops cut off
¾ cup low fat milk
¼ cup plain yogurt
2 tablespoons sugar
½ envelope vanilla flavored agar agar powder (or gelatin and ½ teaspoon vanilla)

For chocolate layer:
1 cup chocolate milk
½ envelope envelope vanilla flavored agar agar powder
1 tablespoon sugar

1. Chop strawberries into chunk sized pieces. Fill bottom of jelly molds with a thin layer of strawberry pieces (or shot glasses in my case)
2. Combine milk, yogurt and sugar in a medium saucepan. Heat up until almost boiled and sprinkle in agar agar powder. Turn off heat and stir until powder has dissolved. Pour liquid into jelly molds (or shot glasses in my case), leave some space in the mold if you are planning to add another layer. Let stand for about 30 minutes or until a firm surface forms.
3. Heat chocolate milk and sugar in a saucepan. Stir in agar agar powder and allow mixture to cool. Pour over strawberry yogurt jelly and let stand for another 15-20 minutes. Chill the jelly for more than an hour before serving.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I'm a journalism student and a lacto-ovo vegetarian. Baking, getting random Chinese ingredients, reading recipes and playing in the kitchen are part of my many interests.